Comprehensive Mobility Plan (CMP) For Nagpur
Nagpur Improvement Trust (NIT) had engaged UMTC to prepare a Comprehensive Mobility Plan (“CMP”) for Nagpur. The CMP would, inter alia, cover assessment of the traffic and transportation needs for the city based on the present and projected transport and travel demand in the Nagpur Metropolitan Region.
The CMP essentially examines existing and future transport scenarios of the city and formulates vision, strategies and policies for efficient accessibility and mobility of people and goods. Accordingly, UMTC was assigned to provide the following services:
- Evaluate existing scenario - Collect Data and List problems
- Forecast future transport scenario - Develop Transport Demand Model
- Set up Vision and Goals - Set up measurable Bench Marks / Targets
- Formulate strategies for development - Evaluate strategies
- Develop Mobility Plan
- -Long term schemes (Plans for Transit Corridors, Public Transport, Feeder Services etc.)
- -Medium term schemes (Parking Management etc.)
- -Short term schemes (Plans for Pedestrian and bicycle network and facilities)
- Prepare Implementation Plan
- Establish Service Level Benchmarks
- Recommend an Institutional frame work
One of the major proposals recommended by UMTC in this study is the emphasis on Transit Oriented Development (TOD) while presenting the concepts of TOD along the proposed metro corridors in Nagpur. This has paved way for a detailed study on TOD further.