City Bus Service, Bhopal
Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh and the second largest city in the state, is located on a hilly terrain within the Malwa Plateau. Bhopal is connected to other parts of the country by rail, road, and air routes.
The past few decades have witnessed the transformation of the city of Bhopal into a significant regional growth centre. The Bhopal Municipal Corporation wanted to introduce a safe, efficient, economical and reliable City Bus Service (CBS) under a suitable PPP model by availing the financial assistance under JNNURM for purchase of buses.
The Municipal Corporation of Bhopal embarked on this mission by setting itself the objective of making the entire public transport system user-friendly, efficient and financially viable. One of the key tasks was to eliminate inter-modal conflict while avoid chaos and over-speeding of vehicles. To this end, the municipal corporation of Bhopal divided the city roads (and routes) into various categories linked to the category of the vehicles plying on them.
The Corporation engaged UMTC for conducting comprehensive traffic and transport surveys, estimation of travel demands on various city roads and preparation of the draft project report for the proposed city bus service in Bhopal.
UMTC was appointed for Project Development pertaining to the introduction of safe, efficient, economical and reliable City Bus Service under suitable PPP models in 2 stages:
- Part 1: Preparation of revised DPR covering the routing and service plan as under:
- Part 2: Bid Process Management of purchase of buses
- Part 3: Bid Process Management for bus operators
- Part 1: Preparation of a Comprehensive Enforcement Plan
- Part 2: Preparation of a Data Collection and Management Plan
- Part 3: Preparation of a Management Information System for the BCLL
- Part 4: Preparation of a Strengthening Plan for the BCLL, including manpower requirement
- Part 5: Training and capacity development of the BCLL manpower
- Part 6: Continued Technical Support for a period of two years